Thursday 4 December 2014

a lullaby .

there was a night last december when you sang me to sleep.
a husky half-whisper
your heart drumming out the beat.
i tried to harmonize with you but my head was drowned by a pounding force
iloveyou iloveyou iloveyou iloveyou 
and i couldn't form my mouth to spell those words
couldn't wrap my tongue around such heavy things

your lips brushed at the top of my head and i could feel your pulse
in my throat.
it hurt to breathe but i kept doing it
inhaleexhale inhaleexhale inhaleexhale inhaleexhale
and you hummed out your night song
so soft and easy
as if the whole world wasn't charged by the energy of our two hearts

i knew times like that are transitory
and so, before i fell asleep wrapped up in your voice and arms
i tore away a fragment of myself and left it there,
with you.
some nights i still dream to the sound of your heart
ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum

S.

8 comments:

  1. where is this picture from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Julien Chapsal photography:

      http://julienchapsal.com/en/J-Chapsal-05-The-Eclipse.pdf

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh...I have been thinking of 'him' and how I laid my bead on his chest listening to his heartbeat... I'll never forget that sound.. I was so close to what I had always wanted. Your words are always so beautiful and touching... xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbeats, lately they just mean that time is passing faster than I want it to. Such a strange feeling.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving someone does mean tearing out a little piece of your heart and leaving it with them. You describe this so beautifully.

    I always get so excited when I see a new poem of yours in my feed. Hope you are well, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last paragraph.
    Yes.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete